I am getting the error "Can't initialize OCI. Error -1" when trying to connect to any database. The installation of Toad and oracle client went smoothly. I am able to connect to my Oracle database using SQL Plus.
Your Oracle client install may not have written to environment variable path.
1. Right click on My Computer and select Properties
Right-Click the Toad for Oracle shortcut | click on "Run as Administrator".
For Windows 7 or Vista, right-click the Toad for Oracle shortcut | click Properties | click Compatibility tab | check-mark "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" | choose Windows XP SP2 or 3.
Turn off UAC in Windows Vista or move UAC slider to lowest setting in Windows 7.
1) Go to Windows Start menu | under the Search field | type: UAC
2) Move the slider bar to the lowest (disable notifications or never notify)
3) Restart computer
4) Try the installation again
5) If you prefer, turn the UAC back to its previous setting after the installation.
1) Go to Start | Control Panel | User Accounts
2) Click on the link "Turn User Account Control on or off"
3) Select OFF and OK.
4) Restart computer
5) Try the installation again
6) If you prefer, turn the UAC back to its previous setting after the installation.