User runs the Quest Installer to install Toad for Oracle. During the install process it says that the SQL Optimizer is already installed. After Toad is done installing, user launches Toad. Toad says it cannot find the SQL Optimizer and it will be disabled.
An old SQL Optimizer install is still lingering on the computer.
You should be able to go to into the Quest Installer located in your Start Menu | All Programs | Quest Software | Quest Installer. In here, choose to uninstall a product, then select Quest SQL Optimizer. If that does not work please try the steps below.
1. In the Quest Installer, it'll list Quest SQL Optimizer and the installation path it thinks it's in.
2. Browse to that path. If it really is there, look for an uninstall.exe file and remove the SQL Optimizer.
3. Go to the Windows Add or Remove Program Utility. Locate and remove entries for "Quest SQL Optimizer," "SQL Optimizer," or "SQL Tuning."
Restart the Quest SQL Optimizer and see if it allows you to install Quest SQL Optimizer.
ADVANCED - The following are critical files that may harm your computer if misconfigured. Make backup files as necessary and proceed at your own risk.
1. Open the Windows Registry by going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | Software | Quest Software.
2. Remove sub-folders such as Quest SQL Optimizer for Oracle or SQL Optimizer. Attempt to reinstall again.
3. Browse to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Quest Software\Quest Installer\LocalManifest.
4. Make a copy of LocalManifest.xml as backup.
5. In LocalManifest.xml remove the block that contains QuestSQLOptimizer. Save the manifest and run the Quest Installer again.