How to move MessageStats database to another location on the same server on a SQL 2000 server?
- These steps are known to work successfully; however, they have not been officially tested by Quest Software Quality Control.
- If any of these instructions are changed, this solution becomes unsupported by Quest Support and Development. For customization of the Quest MessageStats product, please contact our Professional Services Organization: http://www.quest.com/professional-services/
First of all close the MessageStats console and stop the Quest MessageStats Scheduler service.
Then perform the following:
1. Back up your SQL database using the standard backup procedures
2. Open SQL Enterprise Manager
3. Right-click on the 'Databases' folder and select 'Properties'
4. Select the 'Data Files' tab
5. Take a note of the file name and the file path e.g. MessageStats.mdf in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\
6. Select the 'Transaction Log' tab
7. Take a note of the file name and the file path e.g. MessageStats_Log.mdf in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\
8. Click on 'Cancel' to close the window
9. Right-click once again on the ''MessageStats' database | All Tasks | Detach Database...
10. Click on the 'Clear' button if there are connections using this database.
11. If clicking on 'Clear' a dialogue box will be displayed stating "This will end all active transactions in this database which is required before the database can be detached. Is it OK to proceed?". Click on the "OK" button.
12. A new dialogue box may display stating "Do you want to notify the currently connected users that their sessions in the database will be ended?" Select the "Yes" button
13. In the 'Detach Database dialogue box the STATUS should state "The database is ready to detach"
14. Click the "OK" button
15. A new dialogue box should display stating "Detaching database has completed successfully". Click on the "OK" button
16. Navigate to Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\ and move the MessageStats.mdf and the MessageStats_Log.mdf files to the new location.
17. Right-click on 'Databases' in Enterprise Manager and navigate to All Tasks | Attach Database... Click on the "..." button
18. Navigate to where the MessageStats.mdf and the MessageStats_Log.mdf files are now residing and select the MessageStats.mdf.
19. Click on the "OK" button
20. The "Attach Database - [Servername]" dialogue box should display showing the database information
21. Click on the "OK" button
22. A dialogue should display stating "Attaching database has completed successfully."
23. Click the "OK" button and exit out of Enterprise Manager
24. Launch MessageStats console to confirm it connects successfully