When Mailbox-enabling we perform the following
- Find the user object
- Open the user object
- Disable the mail enabled user by removing and setting sepecic attributes on the user security object
- Then we run a test to check the existence of the legacyexchangedn attribute. We do this to confirm it does not exist and that the object is not a mail-enabled object. This process loops until it confirms the deletion, and will wait for Active Directory replication to complete.
- When it is confirmed that the attribute does not exist, then the mailbox is created and enabled
- Lastly the RUS is run if you have Exchange 2003, or email address list update is run for Exchange 2007
Attributes we set
Attributes we remove
Sometimes the replication of information can cause issues. For example, when mailbox enabling and migrating. The
Attribute replication with Exchange 2007 powershell, can be a slow process.
We use CDO(2003)/CDOEXM(2007) with powershell in migration processes to perform functions against the exchange server. Such as adding or removing attributes from users and mailbox enabling etc. When we make these changes, the attributes are cached by the directory service access (DSAccess) which is the local directory service cache on the exchange server. This takes no more than 15 minutes to update on the local Exchange computer. During this time the changes are passed over to the Global Catalog then onto Active Directory for replication.
We recommend if you are having issue to do the following:
- Confirm that Groupwise Migrator is pointing preferable Global Catalog and that the global catalog is the same DC that is specified as the exchange 2007 configuration docmain controller
- Confirm directory synchronization with 'netdiag /fix' and dcdiag
- Confirm all SRV LDAP records are in existence for this site
- If running Exchange 2007, change the DC configuration domain controller, set in Exchnage, to be a local, or the DC the application is pointing to
- If running Exchnage 2003 confirm that the Recipient Update Services (RUS) is pointing to the same GC as the software is. The closest GS in the site.
- Upgrade to the latest build. This includes extra switches that can be used to retry and wait incase of replication lags with updates from the exchnage server adn active directory. There are two switches that can be added which are brielfy:
These are explained in much more detail within the documentation of the parameters reference guide