Error received in the event_log when running ora_setup:
"ORA-01034: ORACLE not available."
1. Confirm the database has been started.
2. Check the oratab file for proper ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME. The oratab file is located in /etc/oratab on HP-UX, AIX and Compaq. The oratab file is located in the /var/opt/oracle directory on Solaris.
3. Check to see if setuid is set on Oracle binary located in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory.
4. Contact System Administrator if the setuid is not set on this binary. To set sticky bit on Oracle binary, as root user execute:
chmod 4755 oracle ls -l oracle -rwsr-xr-x
5. Check the /etc/mnttab file to make sure SUID has been enabled on the mount point for the oracle program.