Understand product versions Supported upgrade path
Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition supports upgrading from Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition and Foglight for Storage Management. Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition 8.4 may be directly upgraded from Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition versions 8.3, 8.2, and 8.0.1. To upgrade from an earlier version (8.0, 7.2.x, and 7.1.x), you must first upgrade to version 8.0.1, then to 8.4.
Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition consists of three key software components:
- Management Server
- Agent Manager
Prepare to upgrade Foglight for Virtualization
Preparing for a Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition upgrade from a previous version is straightforward, but may be time-consuming. Before upgrading you should:
- Create a support bundle from your Management Server. For information on how to do this, see the topic “Managing Support Bundles” in the Administration and Configuration Guide.
- Back up the file system in which Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition is installed. For information on how to do this, see the topic “Backing up Foglight” in the Administration and Configuration Help.
- Back up your database. For information on how to do this, see the topic “Backing up Foglight” in the Administration and Configuration Help.
* IMPORTANT: If you are using Oracle® RAC, back up the oracle-ds.xml file (or any other database connection files) before performing the upgrade.
- Deactivate all agents through the Agent Status dashboard (Dashboards > Administration > Agents > Agent Status).
- If you are upgrading to the Agent Manager-based VMware Performance Agent, identify the machine that will run the agent.
Recommended operating systems:
- 64-bit Windows® Server 2008, with 4 GB or more RAM
- 64-bit Linux®, with 4 GB or more RAM
If currently running the VMware Performance Agent on a 64-bit Management Server, can be use the embedded Agent Manager for the VMware Agent to monitor up to 500 total VMs.
Note for installations monitoring large VMware environments
Some installations monitoring large VMware® environments have customized the VMware agent memory settings. These settings must be reapplied because the upgrade procedure overwrites them with the default settings. For each Agent Host with existing VMware Performance agents:
- On the agent machine, open the baseline.jvmargs.config file for editing. The file is located in the <Agent_Manager_home>/state/default/config directory.
- Make note of the vmparameter.x values. If the values on agent are different, they must be reapplied after the upgrade.
- After upgrading and reapplying the values in the baseline.jvmargs.config file, remove the deployed negotiation configuration settings directory <Agent_Manager_home>/state/default/config/deployments), and restart the Agent Manager. The new settings take effect after the Agent Manager is restarted.