Currently the network share backup support is limited to only Windows network shares. Problems might be encountered if you use this feature to backup CIFS-compatible shares such as Samba, Snap Appliance Filers, Mac OS X Shares. This includes the inability to backup files with certain filename encoding or lengths, changing the filename while backing them up, or not restoring the permissions correctly.
You can use the File System Plugin to backup shared network folders residing on non NetVault: Backup Clients. To use this feature you must configure the network share on a NetVault: Backup Client as described in the following steps:
1. Click on Create Backup Job
2. Under Selection, click on "Create New"
3. Click on the "+" to expand the Client from which you want to backup the Shared Network Drives
4. Click on the "+" to expand the File System plugin
5. Click the Network Shares node & click the Check Box for Network Share.
6. Next click on the "Actions" drop down button (blue) above and choose "Add Network Share"
7. In the Add New Network Share window, enter the filepath for the shared drive in the following format:
\\<IP Address or Resolvable Network Name>\<Share Name>\
8. Next, click Add, this adds the shared folder to the Network Shares node.
9. Next click on the "Actions" drop down again and choose "Connect As"
10. In the Connection Details window configure the Login Details (credentials):
* Domain – Enter the Windows domain for the system that contains the shared folders.
* Username – Enter a user name with necessary privileges to write/change files on the shared folder.
* Password – Enter the password associated with the user specified in the box above.
11. Click OK.
You should now be able to open that network share, browse and select data for backup like any normal file system backup.
For Instructions for 9.x.x and older versions of NVBU, the Following KB article is available: https://support.quest.com/netvault-backup/kb/79032