Connections can be incredibly slow when connecting to a database (up to 1 minute to connect depending on environment) with the syntax highlighting options are turned on.
Enabling syntax highlighting settings causes Toad to query database objects upon connection and may slow initial connection down if the database is large.
Disable the 'Syntax highlighting':
1. Select View | Options | Editors.
2. Disable the options:
- Highlight table names
- Highlight view names
- Highlight stored procedure names
3. Click 'Apply' and 'OK' to accept the changes.
When launching Toad, make sure that the "Object Palette" does not automatically launch.
1. Simply close the "Object Palette" window the next time you log into your database to prevent it from automatically launching.
2. To reopen the "Object Palette" window, select View | Object Palette.
Try setting each of these "Optimization Hints" to see which option is faster for your environment:
1. Select View | Options | Oracle | Optimizer Hints.
2. On the right, there's a drop-down list named 'All others', when you expand 'All others', there should be 5 options: '<none>', '+/CHOOSE/+', '+/RULE/+', etc.
3. Select <none> and click 'Apply' and then 'OK' to accept the changes.
4. Now Exit out of Toad, then relaunch Toad and login to your database.
5. If you are not satisfied with the time Toad took to connect, select View | Options | Oracle | Optimizer Hints and select another option in the 'All others' menu.
6. Continue this test with the other 'All others' option until you find a connection time that you are satisfied with.
Disable connection colors upon logging into databases. Set the color to NONE.
1. Select View | Options | Schema Browser - Data.
2. Check to see if any options other than "Show all users" are checked in the User\Schema List section.
3. If this option is not checked, then could be causing the slow connection as Toad could be waiting for the results of the query that is executed.
4. Check "Show all users" and Apply the changes, then try connecting again.
1. Select View | Toad Options | Windows menu option.
2. On the right side, ensure "AutoOpen" check box is UNCHECKED for all listed windows.
Waiting for a fix in a future release of Toad for Oracle.
Applies to Toad for Oracle 188.8.131.52 and 8.6.1.