A migration plan saves in a reusable format all the configuration details of a migration, including its connection properties, source and target mailboxes, and optional parameters. When you first log in to On Demand Migration for Email, you are prompted to specify a name for your first migration plan.
Instead of creating the migration plan from scratch, you can also create it from a template that specifies the connection properties and optional parameters for the migration. Once a migration plan is created from a template, you only need to add the mailboxes you want to migrate (you can also edit the target connection and the date filter, if necessary).
For a step by step procedure to create a migration plan from scratch or using a template, see Getting Started for New Users. For more information about the migration template, see Managing Migration Templates.
You can copy migration plans and then edit those copies to create other migration plans. This spares you the task of specifying the same set of values if you want to run multiple migrations that share certain configuration details and mailboxes. For example:
- If certain mailboxes fail to migrate when you first run a migration, you can quickly create a new migration plan which only includes the mailboxes that failed to migrate the first time.
- If you are planning to migrate a large number of mailboxes, you can divide the workload into more manageable segments or among different migrators.
- If you want to migrate more than 100 mailboxes concurrently, you can create multiple migration plans with different administrator accounts and run them simultaneously. For more information, review information in Connecting to Email Services.
Migration plans are viewed and managed in the Dashboard, which you open by clicking the Dashboard link in the breadcrumb bar.
The Dashboard displays the configuration settings of each migration plan and includes links pointing to the Connections, Mailboxes, Options, and Migrate tabs. To edit a migration plan, click the appropriate link to open the tab you want, make your changes, and then save the migration plan.
Migration plans that were created from a template, or copied from a plan that was previously created using a template, have a subtitle "Created from [template_name]" on the Dashboard page. To view the template details, click the template name. If the template has been deleted, you will see an alert dialog box.
To copy a migration plan:
- Do one of the following:
- Open the Dashboard and click Copy.
- Open the Migrate tab and click Copy Migration Plan.
- Specify a name for the copied migration plan.
By default, all the configuration details and mailboxes of the original migration plan are selected to be copied.
- De-select the configuration details you do not want to copy and de-select the migration status of any mailbox you do not want to include in the new migration plan.
For example, if you want to create a migration plan that only includes mailboxes that failed to migrate in the original migration plan, you would keep the same connection properties and options and de-select all the mailbox statuses except Failed.
If the source migration plan was created using a template, all the Connections and Options fields will be selected to copy by default and grayed out.
- Click Copy.
- Edit the new migration plan as needed.
If the source migration plan was created using a template, the new plan will keep the connection properties and optional parameters specified by the template, as well as the same read only fields with the source plan.