After changing the default password, you will be prompted to provide the initial networking information for your environment.
- At the Change Hostname page, enter a valid hostname or fully qualified domain name (FQDN).
NOTE: Hostnames must comply with the standards RFC 1123 and RFC 952. Hostnames may only contain the letters a-z, the numbers 0-9, the "-" (hyphen), and the "." period (or dot).
- At the Edit Network Connections page, you will be prompted to edit the network connections. If you are using DHCP, select No. If you are using Static IP, select Yes.
- Follow the screen prompts to configure the required network entries and confirm the configuration settings.
- After the required network settings are configured, QoreStor will run the initial configuration, which may take up to 5-10 minutes to complete.
- Continue to Using the QoreStor Menu.
IMPORTANT: Before beginning a storage resize operation, ensure all backup, replication, and cleaner operations are stopped.
The QoreStor VM supports the ability to incorporate additional storage capacity. Adding storage capacity has the following requirements:
- Storage must be added through the virtualization platform before performing any operations on the QoreStor VM.
- Newly added storage must be discovered by QoreStor.
- If your QoreStor license does not currently allow for the newly added storage, the QoreStor licensing must be updated to reflect the additional capacity.
To add storage to QoreStor:
- Refer to the documentation for your virtualization platform version for instructions on resizing hard disks.
- For Tier 1 VMs, locate the data disk and expand it to the desired size. Refer to QoreStor VM Specifications for maximum supported storage size.
For Tier 2 VMs, locate each of the three data disks and expand each disk equally. Refer to QoreStor VM Specifications for maximum supported storage size.
IMPORTANT: When the QoreStor VM discovers the newly added free space, the discovered amount will be equal to the smallest available amount. For proper operation, each data disk must be expanded to the same size.
- After resizing the data disks, poweron the QoreStor VM and access the QoreStor Administration menu.
- Select Storage resize. The newly added space will be detected. Select OK to allocate the storage.
NOTE: QoreStor services will be restarted.
- You will be prompted when the system has fully restarted. Select Done.
- If youre newly configured storage space exceeds your licensed capacity, add a new QoreStor license. Refer to the QoreStor User Guide for more information.
After performing the initial QoreStor configurations, Quest recommends the performing the additional actions below:
- Update Open VM Tools [VMware deployments only] - Open VM Tools is an open-source implementation of VMware Tools pre-installed on the QoreStor VM. Open VM Tools provides a suite of utilities that improves the functionality and adminstration of VMware virtual machines. For more information on Open VM Tools, refer to the VMware documentation.
To update the Open VM Tools, perform one of the actions below:
In situations where certain workloads have requirements for faster recovery, QoreStor allows you to write these workloads to a performance tier to enable faster read back unaffected by activity in other QoreStor Storage Groups. By utilizing a performance tier, you are able to maximize the value of higher-performing storage by ensuring that only the most critical workloads are written to it.
To create a QoreStor performance tier, you must create a physical volume comprised of high-performing storage (such as SSD) and then create a QoreStor storage group mapped to that volume. Containers created on that storage group will write and read from high-performance storage exclusively and will be isolated from read activity on other volumes.
To add a performance tier to a QoreStor VM
- Using the management client (vSphere Web Client, Hyper-V VM Manager, etc) for your virtualization environment, add a suitable virtual disk file to the QoreStor VM. The new hard disk should be:
- at least 500GB in size
- located on high-performing storage, such as SSD
- Power on the QoreStor VM and access the QoreStor Menu. See Using the QoreStor Menu for reference.
- On the QoreStor Menu, select Administration , then Storage Device Options.
- Select the volume to add to QoreStor and select OK. If there is only one additional volume, it will be selected automatically.
- Select Add as Performance Tier.
When a performance tier is added, QoreStor will also create the corresponding storage group "PerformanceTier" mapped to the performance tier storage.
- Once the performance tier is created, you can enable encryption. Refer to Editing a Performance Tier in the QoreStor User Guide.