How can one configure TNSNAMES.ORA for use with an "Oracle Instant Client" (OIC) without having to input the database connection information?
Databases not listed in the drop-down menu on the connection window using an Oracle Instant Client.
1. Shut down Toad for Oracle.
2. Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the 'Advanced System Settings' link on the right hand side. Click on Environment Variables button.
3. Under System Variables, click the ‘New’ button.
4. For Variable name, enter TNS_ADMIN.
5. For Variable value, enter the directory that contains your TNSNAMES.ORA file.
Click OK until one returns to the Desktop.
*Note if one has other Oracle clients installed on the machine the TNS_ADMIN variable will force the same TNSNAMES.ORA file on all installed clients. If need be, alter the TNS_ADMIN variable to the appropriate directory.
6. Launch Toad. At the connection window, select the TNS tab. The connection window lists the databases from the TNSNAMES.ORA file specified in TNS_ADMIN variable.
7. Select a database; enter the User/Schema name and Password. Click Connect to connect to the database.
RESOLUTION 2 for Oracle 12c:
The video suggests there is a TNS_ADMIN environment variable setup and that the home is properly listed in PATH.
© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Feedback 利用規約 プライバシー Cookie Preference Center