To determine the exact reason for the “Waiting for Media” status:
1. In the Navigation pane, click Job Status.
2. In the list of jobs, select the job and click the [🩺Diagnose Job] button.
3. On the Diagnose Media Request page, you can view the following information:
4. The Drives list show the ones allowed to be used by the job. If none is listed, modify the job's Target Set, so the correct drives are selected.
5. The Reasons table lists the details why the specified device or media cannot be used for the job. Among the available reasons, here are the most common ones:
- Not enough space: media lacks the estimated amount of storage space required for the backup job
- Currently unavailable: media cannot be currently assigned for the job
- Not target MID: the media label doesn't match the one specified for the job
- The 'force local drives' option is set: the device is considered network attached
Based on the reasons listed, among the actions that could be taken the following are include:
- If all drives are currently writing data, wait for one to become available. Changing the jobs schedule could minimize contention for the drives.
- Verify that the correct storage device was selected on job Target Set.
- Ensure that tape libraries content was properly updated by following the correct procedure.
- Reconfigure the job to reuse media.
- Rotate blank tapes into the library. Verify that job is configured to use blank media and can label them.
- Manually blanking older tapes which are no longer needed. Caution: data cannot be recovered or restored from a blanked media.
- Bring unavailable drives back online