On Demand Recovery includes the comparison report feature that is used to monitor and roll back changes occurred in live Azure Active Directory or Office 365 since the backup was created. The report assists you with troubleshooting and resolving problems that may result from the deletion of critical objects or parameter changes.
The report shows the following changes:
- Creation of new users or groups
- Changes to Azure AD B2C "local accounts", "guest accounts", and "social accounts"
- Changes to object attributes, including licenses
- Group membership and manager property changes (DirectoryLinkChange object type)
- Changes to service principal objects: deletion of a service principal, add/remove roles (custom roles are not monitored), changes to the accountEnabled property
- Objects moved to the Recycle Bin
- Permanently deleted objects
- When deleting a group, all links that were affected by this action are shown in the Differences report, such as Azure AD group membership, Conditional Access policies, group owners, and application assignments.
Note: To restore 'member' or 'memberOf' attributes for an object, restore the group from the Unpacked Objects view. Restoring of group memberships from the Differences report is not supported in hybrid environments.
To view and roll back changes in Azure Active Directory or Office 365
Note: Objects added to the directory after the backup was created cannot be deleted using the Restore option in the comparison report. This option removes only membership information for the selected object and logs an event.
- Create a backup of your directory.
- Change any object attributes in your live Azure Active Directory or Office 365.
- Unpack the backup to compare with the current version of your directory. For that, click Unpack backup on the Dashboard view. In the Backup Unpacking dialog, click Browse and select the backup.
- After the backup is unpacked, go to the Differences view.
- To refine the data, use the Search field or facets on the left side of the screen.
For more information about the search syntax, see Advanced search.
- Select the changes you want to roll back and click Restore.
- To update the report data, use the Refresh option.
- The Export feature allows you to export the selected report data to the CSV format. Note that the CSV file contains internal column names, for example: the Attribute column in the Difference report has the "changedAttribute" internal name. You can use internal column names to create search queries. For more information, refer to Advanced search.