Upgrading to vRanger 5.4/5.5 - (video)
1. Navigate to www.quest.com and download the vRanger Upgrade executable.
2. Double-click the vRanger-Upgrade.exe file | Prompt opens - Click Next | The Welcome Screen appears - Click Next | Click 'I Agree' to License Agreement
3. Choose Components
vRanger includes a cataloging feature that requires an additional database and other
components. The Catalog Manager installation is enabled by default. Click Next.
To disable the installation of the Catalog Manager, clear the checkbox. Click Next. You may
install the components later by re-running the vRanger Upgrade installer.
4. If you are upgrading from vRanger 4.x a prompt appears informing user that some files will be relocated.
This does not apply to upgrades from 5.x installations
To view the details, see C:\Program Files\Quest Software\vRanger\Upgradelog.log
5. Enter User Credentials. This configures the account that will be used to run the services installed by vRanger. The user account needed for this step must have administrator privileges on the vRanger machine.
6. Upgrade Database
The installer will find the existing vRanger database, and default to Install/Upgrade on anexisting SQL Server 2005/2008.
Select the Server Authentication method and click Next | Verify | OK | Next | Yes
7. Click 'Automatic Setup' to finish upgrade of Database | When the installation is completed, click Next. | Finish
8. The Catalog Manager Database Installer dialog appears.
Select the desired authentication method. You may use the method chosen in Step 5, or select a new method
Click Verify | Click Create.
9. The installation completes
Please upgrade your Database before performing an upgrade, the following Knowledgebase articles give instructions on how to do this:
https://support.quest.com/Search/SolutionDetail.aspx?id=SOL89003 - Backing up Database using SQLCMD
https://support.quest.com/Search/SolutionDetail.aspx?id=SOL77403 - Backing up Database using SQL Management Studio
Further information can be found in the attached vRanger Install Guide - Page 27
If you are upgrading from vRanger Pro 3.x you will first need to upgrade to vRanger 5.0 - refer to attached guide, page 33