VA-based (i.e. between ESXi hosts) replication takes long time. Is there a way to boost VA performance to speed up replication?
For compatibility reasons the virtual appliance that comes with vRanger 5.2 has virtual hardware version 4. Because of that the VA has "Flexible" network adapter, which is slower than E1000 NIC available on virtual hardware version 7/8. Also, by default VA has only 1 CPU and 512 MB of memory, which leads to slower performance, especially when running multiple replications simultaneously.
1. Make sure no replication job is running.
2. Power off virtual appliance(s).
3. Open vSphere Client, right click on VA and select "Upgrade Virtual Hardware".
4. When vSphere finishes upgrading virtual hardware, right-click on VA and select "Edit Settings".
5. Remove "Flexible" Network Adapter and add a new "E1000" Network Adapter.
6. Optional: Increase VA's memory to 1GB and number of CPUs to 2. If running multiple replication jobs simultaneously then both CPU count and memory size should be increased even further for better performance.
7. Hit OK to apply the changes.