When logged into the database using an 11g client and running a query or statement using the option, "Execute in SQL *Plus", the SQL Plus window does not appear. No error messages are displayed.
Using other Oracle Clients (9i or 10g) the SQL Plus window appears normally.
sqlplusw.exe file was not found in the Executables section in the Toad Options for the 11g client. The 11g client only offers the sqlplus.exe (command line version).
Set the SQL Plus tool in Toad Options:
1. Launch Toad.
2. Go to View | Toad Options in the main menu.
3. On the left side of the Options window locate 'Executables'.
4. Under the 'Oracle Utilities' section on the right, uncheck the box "Auto detect paths for current Oracle Home". (If not already).
5. Under the 'SQL *Plus' line, browse to the 11g *Oracle Home and locate the sqlplus.exe file.
* For example: "C:\oracle\product\11.1.0\client_1\BIN"
6. When found, click on Apply and OK and re-test the issue.
Oracle doesn't ship the SQL*Plus "Windows" version anymore (SQL Plus with a white screen [sqlplusw.exe]). Now in 11g, Oracle only offers the command line (black screen) and Sql Developer.