Organize Files Using the Library
The Library is designed to be used as part of your primary workspace in Toad Data Point. The Library allows you to organize and view your files by categories and groups that you create. Create topics to group files. Add keyword tags to individual files to further categorize them.
Files are added to the Library but remain in their original locations. The file path for each file is displayed in the Library grid. You can create and use as many topics and keyword tags as you need. As the number of files in your Library grows, use filter, group, and search features to easily find the files you need.
You can apply tags and a topic to several files simultaneously when you add multiple files to the Library from the same directory.
To open the Library
To add a file to the Library
- Click the Add to Library button in the Library window.
- In the Open dialog, browse to and select one or more files from the same directory to add to the Library.
After you click Open, the Add Files to Library dialog opens. Use this dialog to add tags and apply a topic to the file or files. If you are adding multiple files, the topic and the tags are added to all files.
Click Add Tag to add a tag. Then enter a new tag or click the drop-down arrow to select an existing tag. Press the Tab key to add additional tags.
Tip: Toad automatically creates a tag using the folder name. Before adding a large number of files to the Library, you might organize them into folders with relevant names.
||Select and existing topic or create a new one.|
- Click Add to Library to add the files.
- Optionally, you can drag and drop files or a directory from Windows Explorer to the Library window. If you drag a directory, all files in the directory are added to the Library (sub-directories are excluded).
- After files are added to the Library, to further differentiate individual files, you can add a description or additional tags. Both are search-enabled and can be used to group files.
- Your initial view after files are added to the Library is Recently Added. To view all files, select All from the View drop-down list (upper-right corner of window).
To remove a file from the Library
- Right-click a file in the Library and select Remove.
To create or apply a topic
- Apply a topic to a file when you add the file to the Library.
- To apply a topic to a file already in the Library, click within the Topic column and select a topic.
- To create a new topic, click within the Topic column and enter a new topic name.
To add a tag
- To add a tag to a file already in the Library, click within the Tags column. In the tag editor, click Add Tag.
To automatically add files to the Library
- You can instruct Toad to automatically add a file to the Library whenever you save a new file or open an existing file. Go to Tools | Options | Environment | General. Then select Automatically add files to Library on open. See General Environment Options.
- Then whenever you save a new file, a special Save As dialog allows you to specify a topic, a description, and tags for the file. The information you provide is displayed along with the saved file in the Library.
- In addition, whenever you open an existing file, it is added to the Library.
Note: This option is enabled by default in Toad.
- To open a file in the Library, right-click the file and select Open.
- To run an Automation script from the Library, right-click the script and select Execute.
- To open a file not in the Library, click Open Other File and browse to and select a file. By default, the file you open is also automatically added to the Library.
Modify Your View
Select a predefined view
- Toad provides several predefined views (Recently Used, Recently Added, etc.). Select one from the View drop-down list (upper-right corner of window).
To search for files
- Enter a search term or partial text in the Search field. Toad returns all results that contain the specified search term in any field (even hidden columns). The search term is highlighted.
To group files
- To group files, drag a column header, such as Topic, to the Group By box (immediately above grid).
- To group by column A and then by column B, drag column A to the Group By box, followed by column B.
To filter by column values
- Click in any column header to filter by a column value. Then select a value. Select Custom to create an advanced filter.
To use the advanced Filter Editor to create a filter, right-click a column header and select Filter Editor.
To clear the filter, right-click the column header and select Clear Filter.
Tip: Use the Auto Filter Row (right-click grid header and select Show Auto Filter Row) to quickly create the framework for your filter. Then refine it in the Filter Editor.
To show/hide columns
- To modify the columns displayed in the grid, right-click any column header and select Column Chooser. Drag columns to/from the Customization pane to hide/show columns.
When Files are Moved or Renamed
When you attempt to open a file in the Library that was moved from its original location or renamed, Toad alerts you. Toad informs you that the file is missing and gives you the option to either specify a new location or remove the file from the Library.
Library Data File
The search.index file contains the information used in the Library, such as a file's location and tags. This file is located in your Application Data directory.