Git Version Control
Features and Tools > Version Control > Git Version Control
To configure git
Configure Toad Data Modeler to work with Git in Options | Application | Version Control System. The values set here will be your default values for setting up new repositories in Toad Data Modeler
- Select Git in Type
- Set paths to your Git client and working directory for your repository
- Click Apply and Initialize Local Repository. The folder will be created (if it does not exist) and initialized
- Enter a path to the remote repository, user name, and password
- Click Apply and Clone Repository
Git application view
- The following Git commands are displayed in Application View toolbar when you work with a model that is tracked:
|Application View Button
|Version Control System Settings
||Opens Options page where you can set the Version Control System preferences|
||Refreshes file status in Toad Data Modeler|
|Add to Index
||Adds the file to the list of tracked files |
|Remove from Index
||Removes the file from the list of tracked files|
||Pushes the committed changes into the remote repository|
||Pulls the current state from the remote repository|
||Fetches information about the current state of the remote repository|
||Displays information about the commit and its author|
||Allows you to browse different versions of the file, merge and compare them and create change script|
Features and Tools > Version Control > Getting Started - Subversion
Toad Data Modeler offers you integration with a third party version control system - Apache™ Subversion®.
Note: If you are familiar with Apache Subversion, you can skip this topic and navigate to the Application Settings topic.
To configure Apache Subversion on your machine
- Download your preferred installation package. Here, the VisualSVN is the preferred package because it contains Server, Management Console and svn.exe.
- Install both VisualSVN Server and Management Console.
- Define a path to your SVN Server location, specify folder for your repository and select an authentication method.
- After the installation, run the Visual Server SVN Manager and create a new user.
- Create a new repository.
- Edit properties of your repositories and add the setup permissions for your newly created user.
- Next step: configure the Toad Data Modeler Application Settings.
Features and Tools > Version Control > Subversion > Application Settings
To configure settings for Version Control System in Toad Data Modeler
- Select Settings | Options | Version Control System.
- On the General tab, specify user name, password and Working Directory.
- On tab Subversion, define a path to folder with svn.exe file.
To save some time, make your Visual Server SVN Manager active, select your repository, right-click it and select Copy URL to Clipboard.
Then paste the content of your clipboard to the Server Path field.
- If you want to use Working folder for all your projects, select section Paths and define Path to Projects to the same folder as you specified in field Working Directory.
Features and Tools > Version Control > Subversion > Project Settings
- Before you create a new project (with Version Control System) in Toad Data Modeler, run Visual Server SVN Manager and add a new folder to your repository.
In this example, the new folder E-commerce will be created.
- In Toad Data Modeler select File | New | Project.
- If you want to define folders manually, select Empty Project with Version Control System. (Toad Data Modeler project has a predefined structure. See Create new project for more information.)
- Define the project settings and to keep the configuration simple, use the recommended option - Project and Repository Structures are Identical.
- Finally, specify a path to the folder with svn.exe file and Server Path. To save time, select your folder in Visual SVN Server Manager, right-click it and select Copy URL to Clipboard.
- Paste the path to Server Path field in Toad Data Modeler Project Wizard.
- Important: Now you have to right-click your created project in the Application View and select Subversion | Check Out. This step is required!