About Naming Conventions
Features and Tools > Tools > Naming Conventions > About Naming Conventions
Naming conventions can be defined for physical models and used to:
- Define custom rules for physical names of objects (e.g. adding prefix, suffix, use particular letter case...).
- Synchronize logical names (captions) and physical names (names) of your objects.
- Verify your model to see if it matches the naming convention rules. If not, there are quick fixes available to solve any issues.
Note: Naming conventions can be only used to alter physical names (names) of model objects, NOT logical names (captions).
Basic Information About Naming Conventions
- Naming conventions rules can be set for most physical model objects that have a defines name and a caption.
- Naming conventions are stored as .txn files in the Documents folder on local drive (Documents | Toad Data Modeler | Installation Name| Naming Conventions).
- Multiple sets of naming conventions can be created, but one model may use only one set at a time.
Naming conventions allow you to:
- Automatically create physical names based on captions and set naming conventions rules, e.g. Customer ID (caption) => T_CUSTOMER_ID (name).
- Define a set of valid/invalid characters used in physical names (and define now invalid characters should be replaced).
- Verify and automatically update names of multiple objects at once.
- Use glossaries to automatically replace language-specific characters or abbreviations. Glossaries can be exported/imported as CSV files.
TIP:Toad Data Modeler comes with several CSV files to help you replace language-specific characters with English characters. The files are located in Documents | Toad Data Modeler | Installation Name | Naming Conventions | CSV.
Managing Naming Conventions
To start using naming conventions, you can go to Tools Menu | Naming Conventions | Settings or click on Naming Conventions Toolbar.
- If no naming conventions are found by Toad Data Modeler, you will be asked to create a new set of naming conventions which will become linked to the currently active model.
- You can link your model to another set of naming conventions in Model Menu | Properties (or Model Properties in context menu) | Naming Convention tab.
- Additional naming conventions can be created and managed in a dialog opened by clicking Manage Naming Convention in Model Properties.
Verification and Synchronization