Get started with Subversion
Features and Tools > Version Control > Subversion > Get started with Subversion
Toad Data Modeler offers you integration with a third party version control system - Apache™ Subversion®.
Note: If you are familiar with Apache Subversion, you can skip this topic and navigate to the Application Settings topic.
To configure Apache Subversion on your machine
- Download your preferred installation package. Here, the VisualSVN is the preferred package because it contains Server, Management Console and svn.exe.
- Install both VisualSVN Server and Management Console.
- Define a path to your SVN Server location, specify folder for your repository and select an authentication method.
- After the installation, run the Visual Server SVN Manager and create a new user.
- Create a new repository.
- Edit properties of your repositories and add the setup permissions for your newly created user.
- Next step: configure the Toad Data Modeler Application Settings.
Features and Tools > Version Control > Subversion > Application Settings
To configure settings for Version Control System in Toad Data Modeler
- Select Settings | Options | Version Control System.
- On the General tab, specify user name, password and Working Directory.
- On tab Subversion, define a path to folder with svn.exe file.
To save some time, make your Visual Server SVN Manager active, select your repository, right-click it and select Copy URL to Clipboard.
Then paste the content of your clipboard to the Server Path field.
- If you want to use Working folder for all your projects, select section Paths and define Path to Projects to the same folder as you specified in field Working Directory.
Features and Tools > Version Control > Subversion > Project Settings
- Before you create a new project (with Version Control System) in Toad Data Modeler, run Visual Server SVN Manager and add a new folder to your repository.
In this example, the new folder E-commerce will be created.
- In Toad Data Modeler select File | New | Project.
- If you want to define folders manually, select Empty Project with Version Control System. (Toad Data Modeler project has a predefined structure. See Create new project for more information.)
- Define the project settings and to keep the configuration simple, use the recommended option - Project and Repository Structures are Identical.
- Finally, specify a path to the folder with svn.exe file and Server Path. To save time, select your folder in Visual SVN Server Manager, right-click it and select Copy URL to Clipboard.
- Paste the path to Server Path field in Toad Data Modeler Project Wizard.
- Important: Now you have to right-click your created project in the Application View and select Subversion | Check Out. This step is required!
Features and Tools > Version Control > Subversion > Subversion Actions
You can run Subversion actions from the Application View.
To add a new folder
- Right-click your project name and select New Folder. Create a new folder.
- Right-click the folder and select Subversion | Add.
- To commit changes right-click the folder again and select Subversion | Commit.
To add a new model to project
- Right-click the project name or folder name and select New Model.
- Right-click the model name and select Subversion | Add. Confirm it by Subversion | Commit.
Other Files in Project
You can add also *.doc, *.xls and other file formats to your projects (check them out from subversion etc.) Toad Data Modeler allows you to open them from the Application View.
To open an existing file
Right-click the file name in the Application View and select Open File.
Sample User Defined Structure of Custom Project with Version Control System
To compare any two revisions of the same model:
- In Application View, locate your Model tracked by SVN and open History Browser either from toolbar, or context menu (Subversion | History).
- In History Browser, select two of the available revisions and click either on Compare Revisions or Generate Change Script button on the toolbar.
- In the opened dialog, you can see the differences between the models.
- You can now choose an action depending on the button you have clicked on before:
- Compare Revisions - a comparison report can be generated by clicking the Report button.
- Generate Change Script - finish the comparison to generate a change script.