Universal Data Model
Benefits of Universal Data Model
Models and Model Objects > Universal Data Model > Benefits of Universal Data Model
Universal (Generic Relational) Data Model allows you to model entity relationship diagrams without the necessity to select target database platform and database specific items.
Specifics of Universal (Generic Relational) Data Model
- In Universal Data Models PK attributes migrate from parent to child entities as PFK or FK attributes.
- It is necessary to convert model to target database platform if you decide to generate SQL for your Universal Data .Model
- Reports can be generated in various formats.
- Reverse engineering via ADO/ODBC is available.
Logical Data Model
About Logical Data Modeling
Models and Model Objects > Logical Data Model > About Logical Data Modeling
Toad Data Modeler allows you to design and maintain a logical model giving a complete picture of the business area. Logical model is independent of the database platform and is much simpler than physical model. It uses objects such as inheritance, valid values or M:N relationships. From the Logical ER (LER) diagram, you can build a Physical ER (PER) diagram of the selected database platform (LER to PER conversion).
- This topic contains information on objects and functions that are specific for logical modeling. General information and other features applicable in Logical model as well as in Physical model are contained and described in other sections of this Help file. See e.g. the "Model Objects" chapter, "Model Explorer" topic etc.
- See the sample logical model Employee that is included in the installation package for Toad Data Modeler. Default location is: C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler\Samples.
To create a logical model
Select File | New | Model |Logical Data Model tab.