To extract a database by using Microsoft Data Protection Manager
- In the Recovery Manager Console, from the main menu, select Add Storages | From Backups.
- On the Select a Backup Access Method page of the wizard, select Access Exchange backups with thirdparty software. Click Next.
- On the Select Backup Software page, do the following:
- From the Use this software list, select Microsoft Data Protection Manager.
- From the Software version list, select the Data Protection Manager version installed on the computer from which you want to retrieve and restore backups.
- Click Next.
- Follow the wizard to complete the storage registration.
To extract the contents of an Exchange Server backup created with Microsoft Windows Backup, you can use the Exchange Server Emulation feature of Recovery Manager for Exchange. When Exchange Server emulation is started on the Recovery Manager for Exchange computer, it appears as an Exchange Server to the backup software. Then, you can extract Exchange Server databases from backup to the Recovery Manager for Exchange computer and access them with Recovery Manager for Exchange to view, search, and restore data.
This section covers:
Ensure that the computer where you wish to use Recovery Manager for Exchange does not have Microsoft Exchange Server installed: the Exchange Server Emulation feature of Recovery Manager for Exchange is not supported on computers running Microsoft Exchange Server.
You can install Recovery Manager for Exchange on the Windows Backup computer or on a different computer available on the network. If Recovery Manager for Exchange and Windows Backup are installed on different computers, make sure that these computers can access each other by NetBIOS names In any case, the computer where you plan to use Recovery Manager for Exchange must have Microsoft Exchange System Management Tools installed. Install Microsoft Exchange System Management Tools supplied with the Exchange Server version you want to emulate.