Deleting data unpacked from a backup
Unpacked backup components (data) can occupy a significant amount of disk space, therefore it is recommended to delete the unpacked backup components you no longer need.
To delete unpacked backup components
- In the console tree, select the Backups/Active Directory or Backups/AD LDS (ADAM) node.
- In the details pane, select the backup whose unpacked components you want to delete, and then click Delete Unpacked Components on the Action menu.
This only deletes the unpacked data, not the backup itself.
Using e-mail notification
You can have Recovery Manager for Active Directory send an e-mail message that contains the log information about the backup creation session when backing up Computer Collections.
To use this feature, set up the appropriate settings on the Alerts tab in the Computer Collection Properties dialog box and on the E-mail tab in the Recovery Manager for Active Directory Settings dialog box.
To enable e-mail notification for a Computer Collection
- In the console tree, click Recovery Manager for Active Directory, expand the Computer Collection node, and then select the Computer Collection in question.
- On the Action menu, click Properties, and then open the Alerts tab in the Computer Collection Properties dialog box.
- On the Alerts tab, do the following:
- Select the E-mail notification check box.
- In the To text box, specify the recipient's e-mail address.
- Use the What to record list to select what sort of information you want to be included in the notification e-mail message.
- If you do not want to receive notification unless an error and/or warning is written to the log, select Send notification upon errors or warnings only.
- When finished, click OK.
To set up the e-mail notification settings
- In the console tree, click Recovery Manager for Active Directory, and then click Settings on the Action menu.
- In the Recovery Manager for Active Directory Settings dialog box, open the E-mail tab.
- On the E-mail tab, specify the following settings:
- SMTP server. Specifies the SMTP server for outgoing messages.
- SMTP port. Specifies the port number to connect to on your outgoing mail (SMTP) server.
- “From” address. Specifies the return address for your e-mail notification messages. It is recommended to use the e-mail address of the Recovery Manager for Active Directory administrator.
- SMTP server requires authentication. When selected, specifies that you must log on to your outgoing mail (SMTP) server.
- User. Specifies the account name used to log on to the SMTP server.
- Password. Specifies the user password.
- When finished, click OK.
Before you start using the e-mail notification, it is recommended that you verify the specified settings. To do so, in the “From” address text box, click the Test Settings button that sends a test notification message to the address set.
Viewing backup creation results
To view backup creation results, you can examine the properties of backup creation sessions, computers, computers within a backup creation session, and backups registered in the Recovery Manager for Active Directory backup registration database.
In this section:
Sessions node properties
Session properties are used to view the details about a particular backup creation session and to stop the backup creation process, if necessary.
To display the Properties dialog box for a backup creation session
- In the console tree, click Sessions.
- In the details pane, click the session, and then click Properties on the Action menu.
The Properties dialog box for a backup creation session includes the Progress tab and the General tab.