Adding a domain controller to a running recovery operation
There may be a situation where you want to add a domain controller that is not being recovered to the running forest recovery operation. You can do so without stopping the forest recovery operation.
To add a domain controller to a running recovery operation
- In the list of domain controllers, select the domain controller you want to add to the currently running recovery operation.
- Use the Settings tab to specify recovery settings for the domain controller.
- Right-click the domain controller, and then click Retry All Operations.
Selectively recovering domains in a forest
You can use Recovery Manager for Active Directory Forest Edition to selectively recover domains in an Active Directory forest. You can use this method if you have identified the domains that include dangerous or unwanted data and want to selectively recover them. Before you proceed with such a selective recovery, make absolutely sure no dangerous or unwanted data is replicated to the domains you do not plan to recover.
- You cannot selectively recover domains and delete domains at the same time. During recovery, use only one of these two features. For more information about deleting domains, see Deleting domains during recovery
- The Adjust to Active Directory changes recovery method is performed automatically on Global Catalogs of excluded domains. For more details, see the description of the Adjust to Active directory Changes recovery method here.
Step 1: Select domains to recover
In this step, select the domains you want to recover in your recovery project. This step presumes that you have already created a recovery project for your forest. For more information on how to create a recovery project, see Creating a recovery project.
To select domains
- Open the recovery project where you want to select domains to recover.
- On the menu bar, click Tools | Recovery Project Settings.
- Open the Recovery Mode tab.
- In the Recovery scope drop-down list, select Domain Recovery.
- Select the check boxes next to the domains you want to recover.
- Optionally, you can specify default credentials to access domain controllers in the selected domains.
- Click OK.
The recovery of the domains you selected may affect computers in other domains. These computers will be displayed in your recovery project.
Step 2: Specify recovery settings for domain controllers
To specify recovery settings for DCs
- In the list of domain controllers, select the domain controller whose recovery settings you want to specify.
- Open the Settings tab to specify the recovery settings.
- Repeat these steps for other domain controllers in the project.
For more information, see Domain controller recovery settings and progress.