Step 2: Use IFM to create a domain controller
- Make sure you install the Active Directory Domain Services server role on the Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer you want to designate as the new domain controller.
- On that computer, click Start, click Run, type dcpromo /adv, and press ENTER.
- On the initial page of the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard, make sure you select the Use advanced mode installation check box.
- Step through the wizard until you are on the Choose a Deployment Configuration page.
- Click Existing forest, and then click Add a domain controller to an existing domain.
- Click Next.
- On the Network Credentials page, specify the account credentials you want to use.
- Step through the wizard until you are on the Install from Media page.
- Click Replicate data from media at the following location, and then specify the location to which you extracted the backup in Step 1: Create and extract a backup.
- Step through the wizard to complete the domain controller creation operation.
Creating a Windows Server 2012-based domain controller from a backup
This section describes how to create a Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based domain controller from a backup by using the Install from Media (IFM) feature of Windows and the Extract Wizard.
To create a domain controller, complete these steps:
Step 1: Create and extract a backup
- Create a backup of a Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based domain controller's System State.
Make sure you select and back up all System State components. To create a backup, you can use the Backup Wizard.
- Start the Extract Wizard and follow the steps in the wizard.
- On the Backup Selection page, select the backup you created in step 1 of this procedure.
- On the Folder Selection page, specify the path to the folder where you want to place the extracted backup files.
- Follow the steps in the wizard to complete the domain controller creation extract operation.
Step 2: Install AD DS on the Windows Server 2012-based computer
On the Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer you want to promote to a domain controller, use Server Manager to install the Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) role: in Server Manager, on the Manage menu, click Add Roles and Features, and then follow the steps in the wizard to install the AD DS role.