Recovery Manager for Active Directory can unpack backups and keep the unpacked data in the location you specify to reuse the data for subsequent starts of the Online Restore Wizard or Group Policy Restore Wizard. The use of unpacked backups accelerates operations the wizards perform during the backup data preparation step, because unpacking a backup can be a lengthy operation.
In this section:
Configuring default settings to unpack backups
You can configure the default settings to automatically unpack backups upon their creation. These settings will apply to all new Computer Collections.
To configure the default settings
- In the console tree, select the Recovery Manager for Active Directory console tree root.
- On the Action menu, click Settings.
- Specify settings on the Unpacked Backups tab. For more information, see Unpacked Backups tab (global settings) subsection in Settings.
- When finished, click OK.
Configuring Computer Collection-specific settings to unpack backups
For each Computer Collection, you can override the default (global) settings and configure individual settings to automatically unpack backups.
To configure individual settings for a Computer Collection
- In the Recovery Manager Console tree, expand Computer Collections to select the Computer Collection.
- On the Action menu, click Properties.
- Specify settings on the Unpacked Backups tab. For more information, see Unpacked Backups tab subsection in Properties for an existing Computer Collection.
- When finished, click OK.
Unpacking a backup manually
You can manually unpack a backup by using the Online Restore Wizard or the Online Restore Wizard for AD LDS (ADAM). When you select the Backups/Active Directory or Backups/AD LDS (ADAM) node in the console tree, the details pane displays the registered Active Directory or AD LDS (ADAM) backups, respectively. For more information about the icons displayed next to backups in the details pane, see Icons in the user interface.
To unpack a registered backup manually
- Do one of the following:
- To unpack an Active Directory backup, start the Online Restore Wizard: select the console tree root, and then on the main menu select Action | Online Restore Wizard.
- To unpack an AD LDS (ADAM) backup, start the Online Restore Wizard for AD LDS (ADAM): select the console tree root, and then on the main menu select Action | Online Restore Wizard for AD LDS (ADAM).
- Follow the instructions in the wizard until you reach the Backup Selection page.
- On the Backup Selection page, select the backup you want to unpack, and then click Next.
- On the Backup Data Preparation page, select the Keep extracted data after completing the wizard check box, click Next, and then click Cancel.
- In the message box, click Yes to exit the wizard.