Backup for Comparison (optional)
Use this page to select a backup to compare with the previously selected one. This window appears after you select the Compare two backups and report the differences option on the Wizard Operation Mode page.
- Registered backups. Provides a list of registered Active Directory backups for the selected domain. In the list, each entry includes the following fields:
- Backup Age. Indicates how old the backup is. Active Directory does not allow using a backup whose age exceeds the Active Directory tombstone lifetime.
- Created. Displays the date when the backup was created.
- DC. Displays the computer name of the domain controller; the backup contains directory object data retrieved from that domain controller. The wizard will connect to the domain controller that corresponds to the entry you have selected.
- Media. Displays the path and name of the backup file.
- Register. To register additional backups, click Register, and then click one from the following items:
- Register Backup File. Registers a Microsoft Tape Format (MTF)-compliant backup file (.bkf) or BMR backup file (.vhd, .vhdx).
- Register Backups in Folder. Registers all backup files that are in the selected folder.
- Register Offline Active Directory Database. Registers Active Directory database (ntds.dit file) unpacked from a backup created with third-party backup tools.
Only backups of the same domain controller can be compared. The first of the selected backups must be older than the second one.
Unpacked Backups Folder Selection
Use this page to optionally change the folder where Recovery Manager for Active Directory will unpack the selected backup.
- Path to store unpacked backups. Displays the path to the folder currently used to keep unpacked backups. Each unpacked backup will be saved in a separate subfolder of that folder. To leave that path unchanged, click Next. To specify other path, type the path to a new folder or click Browse to select it. When finished, click Next.
Your changes will not affect the default settings for unpacked backups.
Backup Data Preparation
This page enables you to view the progress of the backup extraction. To stop the unpack process, click Cancel. You can also have the wizard keep the extracted data for future use.
- Keep extracted data after completing the wizard. When this check box is selected, the wizard saves the extracted DIT database in a temporary folder, so you can reuse this information for subsequent starts of the Online Restore Wizard, Online Restore Wizard for AD LDS (ADAM), or Group Policy Restore Wizard. The temporary folder is specified using the Unpacked Backups tab in the Recovery Manager for Active Directory Properties dialog box. When this check box is cleared, the extracted data is erased when you close the wizard. Because the unpacking process is a lengthy operation, you should not close the wizard unless you are sure that no additional objects need to be compared or restored within the current session.
Domain Access Options
Use this page to specify a way the target domain to be accessed.
- Use agentless method to access domain controller
When selected, ensures that only LDAP functions are used to access the domain controller. When you leave this check box cleared, the restore is performed using Restore Agent. For more details about agentless or agent-based method, refer Using agentless or agent-based method.
- Target domain controller
Displays the DNS name of the target domain controller for the restore operation. By default, the wizard uses the domain controller from which the backup was created. To choose the target domain controller, click Browse, and then complete the Select Domain Controller dialog box.
- Account used to access the target domain controller
Displays the user account with which Recovery Manager for Active Directory will access the target domain controller. By default, the wizard accesses the domain controller with the account under which Recovery Manager for Active Directory is running. To choose a different account, click Change, and then complete the Select Account dialog box.
- Automatically configure Windows Firewall
When selected, the Windows Firewall settings will be configured automatically for the online restore operation.