Step 2: Upgrade the First InTrust Server in Your InTrust Organization
To upgrade the first server in your organization, launch the InTrust suite setup from the InTrust distribution and follow the steps of the wizard.
It is up to you which of your InTrust servers you upgrade first. However, if you have enabled InTrust server failover capabilities in your environment (for details, see InTrust Server Failover and Rollback), you should first upgrade the server that is configured as the standby server. This ensures that failover remains possible at all times. If this upgrade of the standby server fails for any reason, consider setting up a different standby server and upgrading it next.
To upgrade the first server
- When prompted, select the features to install. Setup automatically detects the features that are already installed and selects them for upgrade. If you want to add more features, select them also.
- Specify how the reports should be upgraded:
- Override old reports
- Back up all old reports
- Back up only those old reports that have been customized
- If you are going to back up any of your old reports, use the backup option in the setup only during the upgrade of the first InTrust server. For subsequent servers, select the override option.
- Granular report backup can be used only if these reports were previously installed by launching corresponding Report Pack/Knowledge Pack setup on the local computer (where the setup is now running).
- Complete the setup.
Note: If prompted, reboot the computer after the setup is completed. If you stopped the Quest InTrust Real-Time Monitoring Server and Quest InTrust Server services before the upgrade, start their updated versions manually after you complete the setup.
Step 3: Upgrade the Other Servers
Each setup account must have the dbo role for all InTrust databases, or at least the access rights for these databases as detailed in the Minimal Rights and Permissions Required for InTrust Operations topic.
- Do not perform server upgrades simultaneously—servers must be upgraded sequentially, one after another.
- It is recommended that you keep a record of your upgrade process to track which servers have been upgraded. If you need to connect to a server, you will need to know whether it has been upgraded.
- If you have repositories for which indexing and gathering are managed by different InTrust servers, then there should be no lengthy gaps between the upgrades of those servers. Upgrade such servers one after another in close sequence: first the indexing server, and then the gathering servers.
To continue the InTrust server upgrade
- On the InTrust server selected for upgrade, launch the InTrust Suite setup.
- Review the configuration settings and wait for setup to complete.
After the InTrust organization upgrade is complete, you can start upgrading the agents, as explained next.
Step 4: Upgrade the Agents
- If you are upgrading agents manually, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade the agents only after the upgrade of all InTrust servers is complete.
- If the security policy in your environment allows the agent deployment method that is built into InTrust, just make sure the Prohibit automatic agent deployment on site computers option is disabled for all sites in InTrust Manager. The agent upgrade will be performed seamlessly.
Agent upgrade can be automatic or manual, as follows:
- Any agent that was installed automatically will be upgraded automatically after all InTrust servers it used to communicate with are upgraded.
- An agent that was installed manually must be uninstalled manually and then installed anew. For details about installing and removing agents, see Installing Agents Manually.
- On Unix-based computers, agents must always be updated manually. To minimize possible data loss during the upgrade, update the agents on your Unix-based computers using the steps below; each step is described in detail in Installing Agents Manually:
- Unregister the InTrust agent (old version).
- Uninstall the InTrust agent.
- Install the InTrust agent (latest version) manually.
- Establish a connection with the latest-version InTrust server.
Step 5: Upgrade InTrust Monitoring Console
To upgrade InTrust Monitoring Console
- Run the InTrust suite setup on every computer where you have Monitoring Console currently installed.
- In the list of features to install, select Monitoring Console.
- It is recommended not to change the default settings, in particular, IIS virtual directory for real-time monitoring console (displayed on the Review Default Settings step of the setup).