A Foglight™ agent is a component hosted by the Agent Manager that:The Agent Manager supplies a centralized communications link between the Management Server and monitoring agents. It also provides a number of support services such as installation, upgrade, and the ability to configure agents.
By default, the Agent Manager initiates communication with the Management Server. However, this communication is not always uni-directional. In some cases, the Management Server can initiate a reverse connection to the Agent Manager.If the Agent Manager is configured with an open concentrator port, and the Management Server can resolve and connect to the Agent Manager host address, then the Management Server attempts to open a reverse connection to the Agent Manager as an optimization. This enables the Management Server to send agent control messages (for example, for starting or stopping the agent, configuration changes, or callbacks) without waiting for the Agent Manager to initiate a connection.Configuring an open concentrator port is an optional step. If there is no concentrator, or if the Agent Manager cannot be reached by the Management Server due to NAT or a firewall, the Management Server buffers the messages until the Agent Manager polls. Therefore, Agent Manager connections through NAT or a firewall are fully supported.Embedded Agent Managers always open a private concentrator port that is restricted to connections from localhost only. This automatically enables reverse connections without requiring any configuration.By default, the Agent Manager installer uses the system-defined temporary directory (for example, /tmp or C:\TEMP) to unpack and execute the files required during installation. In some cases, such as when /tmp is mounted noexec, you may need to specify an alternate temporary location. To override the default temporary installation location, simply set the TMP, TEMP, or TMPDIR environment variable to point to a different location.
• [option1|option2] is used in file names at points where you must type, select, or otherwise specify one of multiple options. For example, FglAM‑[all|<platform>]‑<version>.car might be used in a step where you need to choose between the file FglAM‑all‑<version>.car or the file FglAM‑<platform>‑<version>.car.
• <version> represents the version number of the Agent Manager that you are installing. For example, FglAM‑<platform>‑5_8_5_5.car.
Several types of Agent Manager cartridges are available in the FoglightClient‑FglAM‑<version> folder in the Server directory on Disk1 of your Foglight™ installation media or for download from our Support Portal.
• The cartridge file FglAM-all-<version>.car contains Agent Manager installers for all supported platforms. Deploy this cartridge if you plan to install the Agent Manager on multiple platforms in your environment.
• The cartridge files FglAM-<platform>-<version>.car contain platform-specific Agent Manager installers. Deploy a platform-specific cartridge if you do not plan to install the Agent Manager on more than one platform in your environment. Consult the table below for the appropriate installer name for your platform.
• The cartridge file FglAM-patch-<version>.car can only be used to upgrade certain versions of the Agent Manager to the current version; it cannot be used for a new install. See the Foglight Upgrade Guide for more information.The following table outlines which cartridges contain the appropriate Agent Manager installers for your platforms. HP-UX PARISC discontinued in Nightcrawler.
Table 1. FglAM Cartridges available per OS IBM® AIX® Microsoft® Windows® FglAM-windows-ia32-<version>.car (emulated) Oracle® Oracle Solaris®
2 Navigate to the Cartridge Inventory dashboard (Dashboards > Administration > Cartridges > Cartridge Inventory).
3 On the Installed Cartridges tab, click Install Cartridge.
4 In the Install Cartridge dialog box, click Browse to navigate to and select the appropriate FglAM‑[all|<platform>]‑<version>.car file.
5 Ensure that the Enable on Install check box is selected.
IMPORTANT: If the Enable on Install check box is not selected, you must manually enable all cartridges that are contained within the FglAM‑[all|<platform>]‑<version>.car file you are deploying.
6 Click Install Cartridge.