SQL attachability checks occur as part of the Rapid Recovery nightly jobs. To ease licensing costs, Rapid Recovery gives you two options for performing attachability checks:
- Using a licensed instance of SQL Server installed on the Rapid Recovery Core machine.
- If upgrading from AppAssure this will remain your default option.
- If this is a new install you will need to select this option in Core Settings in order to use it.
- NOTE: The instance of SQL Server installed on the Core must be equal to or higher than the highest version of SQL being protected.
- For example, if you are protecting two SQL Agents, one is SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise and one is SQL 2012 Standard, the Core must have SQL 2012 Enterprise installed for attachability y checks to work for both Agents.
- Using the instance of SQL Server already installed on your protected machine.
- This second option is now the default setting for new installs.
- If upgrading from AppAssure you will need to select this option in Core Settings if you wish to use it.
- This is a global setting. Whatever option is selected will be for all SQL Agents.
- Agent side attachability requires a Rapid Recovery Agent to be installed.
- See Rapid Recovery Release Notes located at Rapid Recovery Technical Documentation, to insure your SQL Server operating systems meets the requirements to install the Rapid Recovery Agent
For the most up-to-date and detailed information regarding SQL attachability, see Managing Core SQL attachability settings in the Rapid Recovery User Guide located at Rapid Recovery Technical Documentation.