Migrated wrong mailbox from Google apps to office 365
We have scheduled 2 accounts for the migration, with the same name in Google App with the different Email Address. As per the schedule file it should take the email address and migrate the user. Unfortunately, the tool migrated wrong mailbox data to Office 365. I just realize that we have used the Admin@Domain1.local account for the migration plan. We may not be remembering the admin account and the SMTP domain while starting the migration. It will be helpful if you can check the same source mailbox for the migration. It should not migrate different user. Actual Mailbox scheduled for migration The migration happened for the below users User1@Domain2.local User1@Domain1.local User2@Domain2.local User2@Domain1.local.
The migration account (in this case Admin@domain1.local) did not have access to the users in Domain2.local. So it found the users with the exact name in Domain1.local (which it had permission to migrate) and migrated them instead.
Create one Plan per Domain that you wish to migrate.
Enhancement Request TF00442039
This has been resolved and is included in the latest ODME portal.
This is a "Quick Share" article provided by Quest Support. All content included in this article is unverified and provided “as is” for information purposes only. Although reasonable efforts have been made to present complete, current and accurate content, no guarantees for the completeness, currency or accuracy of this content is made. Accordingly, Quest makes no representation, warranty or endorsement of any kind regarding this content, whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security, accuracy or completeness.