Affected NV Version: All up to 7.4.5
OS Version: All
Plugin version: N/A
Application version: N/A
Description: BakBone time is not the same as a computer's time. It is used by NetVault to synchronize all NetVault schedules, reports, and logs. The Time Sync settings for most people are correct with the default settings.
Normal configuration - The NetVault Server is the BakBone Time Server
1. “This machine is the BakBone time server” check box should only be checked on the NetVault Server. All NetVault Clients should have this box unchecked.
2. “Synchronize BakBone Time with System” field should be left blank on the NetVault Server.
3. The Clients should have the NetVault Server Name (*NOT* the IP address or hostname) for the text box "Synchronize BakBone time with system".
4. The defaults for the rest of the options on this screen for both Server and Clients should be fine.
Note: You MUST restart NetVault on each machine that you reconfigure BakBone Time on, otherwise the changes above will not have any effect.
Alternate Configuration - A NetVault client is the BakBone time server, instead of the NetVault server.
1. “This machine is the BakBone time server” check box should be checked only on the NetVault client that will be used as the BakBone time server.
2. “Synchronize BakBone Time with System” field on all other clients, and the NetVault server should contain the name of the NetVault client that is acting as the BakBone time server.
“Number of Ping-Pongs to determine Time Difference”, “Number of Hours Between Time Sync Updates”, and “Number of Milliseconds of Time Difference Allowed Between Two Servers” should only be changed if you are having problems with time synchronization.