Date: Jun 11
Product & Version: SmartDisk
OS Version: N/A
Module & Version: N/A
Application version: N/A
Symptoms: Performance problems with SmartDisk/How to get the most from SmartDisk
1) Versions - Check the version of SmartDisk that is running. Enhancements are included in the latest versions.
- The WebDAV packet size defaults to 32k. Try changing this to 256k (262144 bytes) using the command "smartdisk config --update --webdav <port_number> --block-size 262144". The default port number is 37453.
- Disk I/O is a common issue if deduplication is in use. Use a Raid 0+1 array to store the Chunk Index. Solution 5988 "SmartDisk performance and the Chunk Index" has more details.
- To avoid contention for the disks, set the deduplication window so that deduplication occurs outside of the backup window.
- Since version 1.6 development recommends running Garbage collection during the backup window.
- For increased throughput of duplication tasks (phase 2 copies) set the deduplication window to a time after the phase 2 backups complete.
- If faster disks for the Chunk Index cannot be provided, set the number of concurrent deduplication tasks to a low value like 2 e.g. "smartdisk config --dedupe-active-limit 2". Less contention for the Chunk Index results in more throughput.