In the Select Workstations window of the Workstation Updater it is not possible to add Windows XP SP2 workstations to the list of selected workstations on the right hand side of the
window. There is no error message returned. Clicking on the add button simply does not add the workstation. The Workstation Update log file may contain the following error:
"Error: <workstation name>: Failed to ping this computer."
This problem will occur if the Windows XP SP2 workstation has the Windows firewall turned on and the File and Printer Sharing service is not added as an exception in the firewall settings.
1. From the Start menu open Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel open Security Center.
3. In Security Center click on Windows Firewall.
4. In the Windows Firewall dialog select the Exceptions tab.
5. In the list of Programs and Services select the check box next to File and Printer Sharing to enable this service as an exception.
For more information regarding Windows XP SP2 firewall blocking the ports used by File and Printer Sharing refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
"The Computer Browser service does not start and event ID 7024 is logged when you restart your Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer"