Migration Manager has just been installed or upgraded and while configuring the project an error occurs:
"The following error occurred when extending ADAM/ADLDS Schema. Access denied!"
This can happen while accessing or attempting to perform change in ADAM configuration under the account different than the one originally used to install the ADAM.
It is recommended to install or upgrade Migration Manager and ADAM with the same account that has been originally used and therefore granted all proper privileges. Please refer to the Quick Start Guide for details regarding permissions.
It is also recommended that the same account be used to perform QMM upgrades and to make any modifications to it, as sometimes it can involve ADAM schema change. You can, however, add permissions to other account. To perform this do the following:
***Warning: If you use the ADSI Edit snap-in, the LDP.exe utility, or any other LDAP version 3 client, and you incorrectly modify the attributes of ADAM objects, you can cause serious problems. These problems may require you to reinstall ADAM, Migration Manager or both. Quest cannot guarantee that problems occurring if you incorrectly modify ADAM object attributes can be solved. Modify these attributes at your own risk.****
1. Open ADSIedit for ADAM on the ADAM server.
2. Connect to your ADAM database configuration by entering the correct port, etc.
3. Navigate to the following path:
4. Right-click and select the properties of the administrators container.
5. Highlight the Member attribute and Click Edit,
6. Click Add a windows account.
7. Enter the Account Name, and Click OK
8. Click OK to save changes to the attribute, and Close ADSI Edit.
This account will now have administrator privileges on the ADAM database.
If however it is not possible to track the account used to install ADAM and access to the projectis lost, please review the following Quest article SOL26641 explaining how to gain it back:
Problems opening Quest Migration Manager for AD (QMM) project in ADAM - https://support.quest.com/SUPPORT/index?page=solution&id=SOL26641