The database cylinder for the Foglight Experience Viewer (FxV) Server database turned red in the FMS 'FxV System Health Summary' page. The first attached screenshot shows this. The database cylinder turned red when it exceeded 700 MB. Looks like it gets completely filled at 800 MB.
Also, in the FxV web console UI itself (not the FMS web UI), a red square appeared next to the ‘Database Size’ metric when it exceeded 700 MB. So that The second attached screenshot shows this. So that corroborates the story.
Is this something that we should be concerned about? How do we get it out of its red state and back to green? Are we able to allocate that database more space to give it more headroom? What happens when/if the FxV Server database reaches 800 MB?
This is all due to issue FXV-383: “Server DB max limit in FMS is incorrect”.
Even though from the FxV web UI (not the FMS web UI) if your Database Size is over 700 MB, it may _seem_ like the maximum size is 800 MB, due to red square that appears when you exceed 700 MB, that is not so. This is a false warning. Same thing with that red square in the FxV web UI. It is a false indicator as well.
The threshold set on FxV (500 MB for warning and 700 MB for critical/error) should be removed or increased.
The FxV web console and the UI database widget in the FMS both indicate that the database size limit is 800 MB, but it is not. The actual FxV Server database maximum size is 50 GB, not 800 MB. The second attached screenshot shows this
We believe that 800 MB number may have gotten introduced many years ago when FxV ran on hardware when we thought we needed to keep an eye on it. Now that the disk space on the hardware is much greater, we ought to remove any maximum thresholds on the FxV Server Database because it causes confusion.
Note: FxV Server database (holds metric data) is separate from the FxV Archiver database (holds replay data).
These numbers, the 500 MB and the 700 MB, are registry variables that you can increase. To increase them:
1. In the FMS web UI, go to 'Rules and Notifications' | 'Manage Registry Variables' | and then from down to 'FxV:dbsize' or search for "FxV". Refer to the attached "How_to_fix_screenshot.jpg"
2. click on "FxV:dbSize.critical"
3. In the popup that just popped up, click 'View and Edit Details", like in the attached "How_to_fix_screenshot2.jpg" screenshot.
4. Click the 'Change' button that is to the right of the "700" value. See screenshot.
5. in the 'Enter desired value' field, enter in a higher value. Such as 3000, for example.
6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 for "FxV:dbSize.warning". Except give a smaller value. Such as 2000, for example.
You may just ignore these warnings because they are false warnings. Know that the FxV Server database will not run out of space until at least 50 GB. The Server Database does not have a hard limit imposed on it. It resides on the “quest” filesystem. Therefore, as long as there is space available on the “quest” filesystem, there is no problem.
Waiting for fix in a future release of Foglight cartridge for FxV.
FxV Server database (holds metric data) is separate from the FxV Archiver database (holds replay data).