The public folders hierarchy and content are not properly synchronized from source public folders to target. The PFTA log contains the following error:
MailImport::ImportFolder Informational 1410 Restoring folder Testting from the PST File (SourceKey: C9E9AD4A4E37134FB5D33F5DC48BC99E0000000111B2).
9/14/2004 11:12:29 PM CFolder::CopyFromPST Warning -2147219456 Unknown Error. - SYNC_E_OBJECT_DELETED (Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store) File: aeMAPIFolder2.cpp Line: 713 (Folder: Testting, SourceKey: C9E9AD4A4E37134FB5D33F5DC48BC99E0000000111B2) (Folder: RooT-KeyEx-PF, SourceKey: CC79E587E8F22C4592C82383B7AB536500000001FC06)
9/14/2004 11:12:29 PM MailKernel::ImportPF Error 2031 Cannot copy the folders hierarchy.
QMM and EMWuse folder unique property SourceKey to match the source and the target folders. It is the same property used by Exchange itself for pf replication. If a folder is deleted, Exchange keeps this SourceKey in the store for some time required for replication - this is called tombstone. And Exchange would not allow you to re-create this folder again until the tombstone is there in the store.
Here is a procedure that resolves public folder tombstone issue.
1. If the Aelita Recycle Bin is installed on the source then you should Move all the source public folders to the Aelita Recycle Bin.
2. If the Aelita Recycle Bin is not installed then you should create it first.
3. Copy all the public folders back from the Aelita Recycle Bin. Doing this step we will create new public folder SourceKeys for source folders thus avoiding the tombstone issue on the target.
4. Delete the previous Public Folder Synchronization job using the QMM console.
5. Create a new PF sync job using console. The new job should rely on the same Administrator mailboxes that were specified for the previous PF sync job. On the properties sheet for the public folder collection, under the synchronization section, check the box to Resynchronize checkbox and All option button.
6. Commit changes and Start the PF sync job.
NOTE: This method has drawbacks:
-New PR_SOURCE_KEY will be generated
-You will need to double the HDD size on the server
-Folders will be inaccessible after they will be moved to the EMW RC
-Folders will be inaccessible during the copying process
-New SMTP address will be generated (with a numeral �1�)
-Rules will break (rules that move messages from email to PF; rules that use PF smtp addresses)
-PF names will remain the same
-All offline PFs and Favorites will not work
Also we recommend moving the content of public folders in a night time to avoid any user impact.
Please also see the following KB article SOL34024:
How do you delete or cleanup Public Folder tombstones in Exchange 2007.