When performing a backup with an ESX host you see error "2712 - can't create the directory" when a Windows 7 machine for the repository
By default Windows 7 is not configured to be a file server and needs to be updated to work as a file server.
Please follow these steps to correct the issue.
1. Open the registry editor on the Windows 7 machine
2. In HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management, set the LargeSystemCache key to 1 (hex)
3. In HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters, set the Size key to 3 (hex)
4. Reboot the Windows 7 machine
5. Run the backup job again and this time the job ran correctly
You can also see the following link for more details http://alan.lamielle.net/2009/09/03/windows-7-nonpaged-pool-srv-error-2017