The SM2T 3TB restore runs for a long period an then after many hours later the restore fails with the following error:
'Data operation halted due to unrecoverable internal NDMP Server error'
The restore request shows that the correct Media Block Size (MBS) was used for SM2T (this is the only MBS that can be used for SM2T):
Job Message 2011/04/07 14:32:40 520 Data Plugin inc9206 Restore Request
With sub text...
NDMP_VERSION = 4
DATA_BLOCK_SIZE = 240
FILESYSTEM = /vol/stv9201_appl01
SMTAPE_DELETE_SNAPSHOT = Y
TAPE_NAME = nrst4a
TYPE = smtape
DIRECT = N
Original Path =
Destination Directory = /vol/test
New Name =
Other Name =
Node = 18446744073709551615
FhInfo = 18446744073709551615
And eventually see the following errors:
Information 2011/04/07 17:42:37 520 Data Plugin inc9206 NDMP: NORMAL 0: SMTAPE: Bad block in read stream. vbn = 1598836319, max_vbn =
Error 2011/04/07 17:42:37 520 Data Plugin inc9206 Data operation halted due to unrecoverable internal NDMP server error
The issue here is a bug with NetApp which they are currently not planning to fix.
We have a case with Engineering already (NTG-60) and have a workaround for this:
1. Make a screenshot of NetVault Device Management (including right clicking on the Drive(s) and selecting Configure - Configuration and
Performance tabs) and then remove the tape library and the Filer(s) from both the SM2T and NDMP Plugins.
2. Stop the NetVault Services (NetVault Server Configurator - Services tab).
3. Edit the file ...\Netvault Backup\config\ndmpversions.cfg, Linux/UNIX default path would be /usr/netvault/config/ndmpversions.cfg, to add the lines under the [NetApp-V4-6.4:Mover Server] stanza:
Allow Nonndmp Transfers=true
4. Start the NetVault Services.
5. Added the Filer(s) to the NDMP Plugin.
6. Add the tape library with the same Device Name and settings as from the screenshots.
7. Add the Filer(s) to the SM2T Plugin.
BakBone SFDC Solution Number: 00006202