Enabling Software Compression on VTL drives causes backup failure
A backup to VTL fails with the following error messages:
Error NVSERVER C:\NewLibrary\drives\1: had media error
Error Fatal error: Failed to write segment
DEVDISK :2240 95 0 626 Close Write Segment
DISKFILE:2240 121 0 626 Attempted to write past end of media
MEDWRITE:2240 276 0 626 Failed to close write segment
This phenomenon sometimes occurs if all of the following conditions are met. However, there are cases without occurrence of this phenomenon because it depends on the data backed up
- Software Compression on VTL drive configuration enabled
- Backup data spans multiple tapes
Note: This phenomenon occurs regardless of “Media Block Size” configured in the VTL drive configuration
This problem is resolved in NetVault Backup 8.6. Upgrade to this release to resolve the problem.
However, there are two workarounds if upgrade is temporarily impossible.
Both workarounds which modify the VTL drive configuration need to be done for all VTL drives.
1. Turn compression off for the VTL drives
Untick "Performance software data compression" in the configuration for the VTL drives.
2. Modify the "Media Reserve" value in the drive template and re-add the VTL libraries
Modify the template file of VTL drives as follows:
1) Delete VTL library
2) Stop NetVault Service
3) Copy “$NV_HOME/devices/drives/willow/pseudo.tpl” to another directory (To save the original file)
4) Open “$NV_HOME/devices/ drives/willow/pseudo.tpl” and edit it as described bellow.
5) Start NetVault Service
6) Add the VTL library on Device Management GUI