Date - 03/2010
Affected Product & Version - NetVault: Backup all versions
Affected Module & Version - Exchange Server APM 4.x
OS Version - Windows
Application Information - Exchange Server 2003, 2007
At times restoring .edb files and logs is needed for auditing, testing or recovery purposes.
In the event the Exchange Server does not have the necessary disk space to host the Storage Group(s) needed, you can
perform a "Copy file to target directory only" to a Network Share or to an alternate NetVault client.
There are pre-requisites for this to complete successfully.
While attempting to perform a "Copy file to target directory only", to a network share or to an alternate NetVault client,
the restore fails immediately with the following log error message:
"Child process died unexpectedly".
"unable to login"
""Cannot find installed software for the selected plugin name"
To successfully perform a "Copy file to target directory only" check the following requirements are met:
Method 1- Relocating to a Network Share:
- NetVault on the target machine is not required
- The target machine must be on the same domain as the Exchange Server
- On the target machine create a shared folder accessible by everyone
- Test access to the share from the Exchange Server
- On Exchange Server change the NetVault Process Manager service account to run as a Domain Admin
- Restart the netvault service
- In Restore, select the needed files
- On the Restore Options tab select 'Copy files to target directory'
- specify the unc path \\ \ \ (do not use drive letter as it would fail)
- in Security sub tab input the domain Admin user account + password + domain (same user that is now running netvault)
Method 2- Relocating to a NVBU Client:
- NetVault must be installed on the target client and it must be added as a client to the NetVault Server
- Install the Exchange Server APM on the target NVBU client (even if Exchange Server is not installed on it)
- Select the needed files to restore
- In the Restore Options tab > Security sub tab provide the Exchange Server APM account/password/domain
- On the Target tab, select the target netvault client to relocate the files to