Date: JUL 2006
Affected NV Version: All
OS Version: All
Plugin version: N/A
Application version: N/A
Description: Tape drive shows up as offline
Symptoms: Sometimes while using NetVault, your tape drive will show up as offline in NetVault Device Management. This problem can occur for many reasons, but most likely it's related to:
1. Cleaning tape in drive when NetVault expects to see a regular tape
2. Pushing the "eject" button on a tape drive to kick out a tape. With NetVault you can't push the "eject" button on a drive to kick out a tape while NetVault has control of the drive. Instead, go to NetVault Device management, right click on the drive, and choose unload.
3. Random problems in the scsi bus
4. Hardware is beginning to fail
1. Open Device management and remove and then re-add libray and or tape drive(s). If problem continues, then proceed to:
2. Power down both Netvault Server or Smart Client
3. Power down the Library and /or tape drive
4. Power up the Libray and/or tape drive and wait until power sequence is finished before proceding.
5. Power up Netvault Server or Smart Client
6. If problem continues, call your hardware vendor to run tests on both library and tape drives, but also check integrity of SCSI bus.