Is it possible to upgrade from vReplicator 3.x to vRanger 5.x? I would like to move my replication jobs to vRanger.
Due to the differences in application architecture, there is no upgrade path from vReplicator 3.x to vRanger 5. vRanger 5 will need to be installed fresh (using the full
installer) and replication jobs will need to be re-created.
The high-level process for migrating from vReplicator to vRanger 5 is as follows:
1. Request a new vRanger 5.2 license. (Please refer to: SOL76823)
2. Download and install vRanger using the Full installer. See “Installing vRanger” on page 33 for the installation procedures. (vRanger 5.2 InstallGuide.pdf)
Note: If you will be re-creating your replication jobs, do not uninstall vReplicator 3.x. You may install and run vRanger on the same machine as vReplicator 3.x without
3. Configure vRanger as appropriate. See ““Configuration through the Startup Wizard” on page 57 for more information
4. Re-create replication jobs to match your vReplicator configuration.
vRanger 5 replication jobs can re-use the existing target VMs created by the vReplicator jobs. This eliminates the need to perform a full synchronization to
start the new replication jobs. When configuring jobs, ensure that the host and datastore configuration matches the original job. vRanger will recognize the
existing target VM and resume replication without sending the full VM.
Disable the vReplicator job before enabling its vRanger counterpart.
5. After validating that all replication jobs have been properly migrated and are working correctly, uninstall vReplicator.