When entering the <DOMAIN>\<User> and <password> for the 'Broker Helper Service (brkhlprsvc)' login account, the installer reports that it could not find the server or may report an empty list.
The installation routine uses standard built-in querying from Install Shield and these APIs require the 'Computer Browser' service to be enabled. The 'Computer Browser' service is 'Disabled' by default in Windows Server 2008 R2.
To resolve this issue:
1. Cancel the current running vWorkspace installation.
2. On the Windows Server 2008 R2 server launch the Services applet (Click 'Start' and type 'services.msc' in the Run line, press enter to launch)
3. Browse the Services Console for 'Computer Browser'
4. Double click the 'Computer Browser' service
5. Set the 'Startup type' to Automatic
6. Click the 'Start' button
7. Re-launch the installation for the Broker Helper service
Enabling extended Windows Installer error reporting shows a Generic 1708 failure after querying Active Directory.
Quest does not provide support for problems that arise from improper modification of the registry. The Windows registry contains information critical to your computer and applications. Make sure you back up the registry before modifying it. For more information on the Windows Registry Editor and how to back up and restore it, refer to Microsoft Article ID 256986 "Description of the Microsoft Windows registry": .