Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition upgrade path:
The Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition 8.6 virtual appliance can be directly upgraded from version 8.5.5,
8.5, 8.4, 8.3, or 8.2. To upgrade from version 7.2 or 8.0.1, you must first upgrade the virtual appliance to version
8.3, then to version 8.6.
Foglight for Storage Management upgrade path:
There is no longer a separate virtual appliance provided for Foglight for Storage Management. It is now bundled
with the Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition virtual appliance.
To upgrade the virtual appliance:
1. Download the Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition Linux x86 64 installer from Quest Support:
2. In preparation for the upgrade, take a backup or snapshot of all relevant VMs. This includes both the FMS
and DBS VMs, as well as any additional VMs hosting agents. ( Recommended backup )
NOTE : The FVE-FMS and FVE-MySQL VMs were renamed FMS and DBS, respectively, in the
Foglight for Virtualization, Enterprise Edition 8.0.1 release
3. Immediately prior to upgrading, deactivate all running agents. This can be done individually from the
Administration tab on each domain's Environment dashboard, or from the dashboard found in Dashboards > Administration > Agents > Agent Status.
4. Using an sftp client (for example, Bitvise SSH Client), connect to the FMS machine on port 22,
sftp://IP of FMS:22, as the foglight user. The password is foglight if it has not been changed after
5. Extract the files from the downloaded zip file and copy the installer to the directory:
6. Log into the FMS VM console as the user foglight (default password is foglight).
7. Type the following command to set execute permissions on files in the upgrade folder for the foglight user:
chmod -R 744 /home/foglight/Quest/Foglight/upgrade
8. Run the following command to start the upgrade process:
<version>-install_linux-x86_64.bin -i console
9. Follow the prompts to accept the license agreement.
10. When prompted for an installation directory, enter (case sensitive):
11.When prompted, select 1 for upgrade.
12. When prompted after the Pre-Installation Summary, press Enter to continue.
13. When prompted for the database running state, press Enter to continue.
14. When prompted, select 1 to Run Now.
15. When prompted, press Enter to exit the installer.
It usually takes five to ten minutes for the FMS to start up and be ready for login.
TIP: Run the following command and monitor the cpu utilization for the fms process.
top -u foglight
It will be very busy while the upgrade is finishing, but it settles down to a few percent when it is ready
16. Allow the startup to complete, then login using a browser.
17. To complete Foglight Agent Manager (FglAM) and agent upgrade, see the “Upgrade the Foglight Agent
Manager” in the Foglight Upgrade Guide: