There is no specific best practices in managing the growth of the archive database. It depends on the environment and how much data is being written to the database.
Archive databases can be created annually, quarterly, monthly or as often as needed.
For example, if you are archiving 600,000 events per week, then that would add up to around 31.2 million events per year. So one archive database per year may be sufficient.
To create a new Archive Database:
- Login to the AA server as an account that has Admin rights in AA and has been granted the dbcreator and securityadmin roles on the SQL server that will host the new Archive database
- Open the AA Console
- Expand Configuration and click Archive Database
- Click New
- Enter the SQL Server name
- Enter the name for the new Archive DB
- Provide an Archive name, such as ActiveAdmin_Archive_YEAR
- Check 'Make this archive database the active archive'. This will set it to be the destination for anything AA archives
- Click OK
If needed, you can still report on the data in the old archive, provided you do not delete it:
- Expand Auditing & Alerting and click Archives
- Click the drop down to select the Archive DB you want to run the reports against
- Select the report you want to run