You may need to set up an isolated system for the purpose of creating KBEs. Here's what we would recommend:
Set up a system or VM that is able to reach the K2000 with the following software:
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10
- Windows AIK, Windows ADK 8, Windows ADK 8.1 and/or Windows 10 ADK
- The latest version of the K2000 Media Manager
NOTE: Use the ADK version equal or greater than the target OS when creating the KBE. Using an ADK version less than the OS version may cause issues with image capture/deploy.
Do not join it to your domain
Do not install any security or antivirus software
To create a new KBE, this is the process we recommend.
1. Prepare the KBE drivers:
- Move out (or delete) any items in the kbe_windows_xXX folder(s) located in the K2000 drivers share (\\k2000\drivers)
- Download the KBE Driver Pack for the desired WinPE version (https://support.quest.com/kb/SOL111717)
- Extract the downloaded driver pack and copy the contents from the desired architecture's folder into the kbe_windows_xXX folder located in the K2000 drivers share.
- In the SDA Interface, navigate to Settings | Appliance Maintenance and click the "Recache All Drivers" button.
Please note that you should only have the drivers for one WinPE version at a time in the kbe_windows_xXX folders
2. Build the KBE
Open the K2000 Media Manager, and do the following:
- Enter the K2000 Hostname (or IP address)
- Enter the Samba Share Password
- Click on the 'Create K2000 Boot Environment' tab
- Enter the name for the boot environment. We recommend including the architecture, WinPE version, and date in the name (e.g. WinPE 5 x64 5-5-2014)
- Select the desired architecture
- Select the desired language
- Ensure the Path field points to the correct version of Windows AIK or Windows ADK:
- WinPE 3 will need to point to the Windows AIK installation directory
- WinPE 4 will need to point to the Windows ADK 8.0 installation directory
- WinPE 5 will need to point to the Windows ADK 8.1 installation directory
- WinPE 10 will need to point to the Windows ADK 10 installation directory.
- Click Start Upload
If you need to add additional drivers for your model to work, please contact support so that we can update the driver pack with the additional driver(s).