Foglight for Analysis Service is bundled with the Performance Investigator tool. When adding an Analysis Service agent a new repository for Performance Investigator will be created as well.
From the databases dashboard, click Monitor | SQL Server BI | Analysis Services
- Under Connection details, type the server name. If the server name includes the named instance separate the with a backslash: \.
- Specify the login credentials or use an account already used by the agent manager.
- Select Automatically generate agent name or write a unique name.
- Click Specify OS Credentials
- Enter the OS credential, if different than the instance login credentials. You can also use credentials from Foglight's stored credentials. Stored credentials can be used instead of providing the username and password
- Click Accept License Agreement and then the Accept button accept the licensing agreement for the SQL PI installation.
- Click the monitor button to create the new SSAS agent.
- Select the Agent Manager where the SQL PI agents will be created the Apply button
- Fill in the SQL Server connection details including:
- the Server name (and instance name separated by a backlash if appropriate),
- port (this is optional unless the default port of 1433 is not used),
- connection type (SQL Server authentication or AD credentials),
- username & password.
Then click the Next button
- Choose Create a New PI Repository Database for SQL Server.
- Use the default value for Database Name, Primary File Group Location, and Transaction Log, or optionally enter a new value.
- Add a file directory location on the SQL Server instance to store 1m data.
Note: This folder must already exist on the server.
- or.. Choose Use an Existing PI repository Database for SSAS
. Choose the Database Name from the drop-down list.
- Click the Finish button
- Click OK to create the repository
To use a SQL Server PI repository in an AlwaysOn Availability Group (AG):
- Before adding a PI agent, create an Always On Availability Group (AG) and define a listener. This will require adding an existing database that is not the PI repository to the AG. Alternatively, you can choose an existing Availability Group.
- Monitor sql server/Oracle/SSAS agent and enable PI. Use the listener address of the Availability group as a database server for the PI repository and accept the default values for the database files location.
- Once PI is enabled, run a full backup for the PI database created in step #2 and add it to the AlwaysOn Availability group created or chosen in step #1.
To add an existing PI repository database to an AlwaysOn Availability Group(AG):
- Disable PI in database agents.
- Remove PI agents.
- Add the PI database to an AlwaysOn Availability Group.
- Re-enable PI on the agents and use the existing database added to the availability group.
Choose “existing database” instead of “creating new”.
Use the listener address as the database server.
The following video details how to create a new SSAS agent: