After you install the NMS Agent cartridge, you will need to deploy the NMS agent software. By default, this agent is installed on the same machine as the Foglight Management Server.
NOTE: Please complete the following steps in sequential order so that the agent is deployed correctly.
Step 1: Deploy the Agent Package
- Go back to the Administration page by clicking "Administration"
- In the Navigation panel, under Agents, click "Status"
- On the Agent Status page, click the "Deploy Agent Package" button located in the bottom left corner.
- In the Host drop-down list, select the host name, which is the machine that is currently running the Foglight application.
- In the Package drop-down list, select "NMSAgent.gar". This package will only appear in the list after you install the NMS Agent cartridge.
- Click "Deploy"
- When the deployment successfully finishes, you will see a green check mark in the Status column. Click "OK"
Step 2: Creating the Agent
- On the Agent Status page, click the "Create Agent" button located directly below the "Deploy Agent Package" button.
- In the Agent Type list, select NMSAgent.
- Select the "Generate Name" check-box to create a name that is based on the server name and NMS agent.
- Click "Create"
- When the agent is successfully created, you will see a green check mark in the Status column. Click "OK"
NOTE: You will notice that the agent is not yet running in the system because the "Activate" button is still enabled. Before activating the agent, please edit the agent's properties.
Step 3: Editing the Agent Properties
- On the Agent Status page, click the "Edit Properties" button.
- Click the Modify Properties for all NMSAgents agent link.
- Under NMS Settings, in the NMS URL field, type the URL of the server that is running Foglight NMS. For example, if you are logging in to Foglight NMS over an non-secure port, type http://localhost:5054.
- Type the username and password that will log you into Foglight NMS.
- Click "Save" to apply your changes.
- Click the "Back To Agent Status" button.
- Click "Activate"
- When the agent is successfully created you will see a green check mark in the Status column. Click "OK"
It may take a few minutes for the agent to access Foglight NMS and start collecting metrics from it. While you wait for the process to finish, check the log file to see the status of the deployment or if there are any error messages.