Agent Deployment through UI:
The Deploy Agent Wizard allows you to select one or more devices where you can deploy a local or remote agent. Agents can only be deployed to Windows-based machines running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 or 2008, and Windows 7. As you work through the different screens of the wizard, you will select the device where you want to install the agent, determine if SNMP in enabled on the device, learn the status of that device (if it will support an agent deployed on it), set and manage the device's credentials in order to connect to it.
To deploy an agent to a device
1) In the Devices view, select a device and right-click it.
Click Tools | Deploy Agent.
2) In the Deploy Agent Wizard, confirm that you have the correct target address in the Enter Target field.
3) In the Connectivity Results screen, select a device in the list.
NOTE: Check the Status column for information about the devices that were discovered. If the returned results have a "Fail" status, you may not be able to select that device.
4) Select a preferred credential and type a username and password in the fields provided.
NOTE: Selecting a (new credential) in the drop-down list will create a new credential.
5) In the Set Telnet/SSH Credential screen, select the device on which you are installing an agent and click Set Preferred.
6) In the Results screen, confirm if the Telnet/SSH credential for the device is valid.
7) Select a device with the correct WMI credential so that you can monitor and collect specific Windows-based data.
NOTE: Use the Manage Credential link on this screen to edit your existing credentials or to create a new credential.
Click Next. The agent will now be deployed to the device. You can view the log in the agent deployment status.
Manual Agent Installation:
You can manually deploy an agent on any windows-based machine. When you install an agent manually, you are downloading the agent software from a known location on your Foglight NMS server. Also, you can use the Email URL feature to deploy an agent to all the desktops in a network. By emailing the location of the agent software to each desktop owner, they can download the agent software onto their desktops.
To manually install an agent:
1) In the Foglight NMS Studio, click Add Devices.
2) In the Add Devices Wizard, select Add Devices By Deploying Agents.
3) In the Deploy Agent Wizard, click Install Manually.
4) In the Manually Deploy Agent dialog, select an operating system and do one of the following:
Click Copy URL to download the agent software from a known location on your Foglight NMS server.
Click Email URL to send the location of the agent software to a specific email address (a link to download the agent software is added to the body of the email).